Everyone knows about them on IRC. Irritating drones who invade your private chat, posting garbage like links to websites where you can get stuff you don't need, and trojan horses being offered masked as offer to get your next girl. And before you know it, you're screwed.
In order to battle this we came up with cyclebots, not really a new idea, but things can always get better. Thats where we try to improve things.
What is a cyclebot?
A cyclebot is an automated mechanism that joins your channel, waits a few seconds, then leaves the channel again. By doing that, a lot could happen. Spambots see this newly introduced client as possible target for their junk, and thats just what we want.
What does it do at the moment?
- Maintaining an index of all visible channels with 25 or more users.
- Visiting the channels in order to scan for notices, private messages and dcc filesends targeted towards the robot.
- Relaying the information to a hidden backchannel containing a group of people who analyze the results.
- Should one of our cyclers detect a trojan being offered by DCC, then another bot will contact the infected person telling him about his issue. Since he was dumb enough to accept the file, he will hopefully be smart enough to also click on the link we provide in order to help him getting rid of the crap.
- Should the notice/private message be from a bot that belongs to the channel (like a bot that greets you etc). Then we will setup an exception in order to prevent treating it the wrong way.
- Should the notice/private message contain an url pointing towards a trojan horse, then we will download and analyze the trojan horse and notify the webhosting in order to get the download page removed in order to prevent more users getting infected.
We heard from various sources that they are afraid of risking glines. We can assure you that is not the case, the bot itself is NOT operd and cannot issue glines at all. Yes, several ircops and cservice administrators are involved in this project. But we only deal with trojans and spambots, your own channelbots,triviabots and whatever else normally runs in your channel are safe, so there is no need to worry.
I don't want the cyclebot to be joining my channel!
We surely respect that wish and can inform you that it is very easy to disable getting scanned in the future, all you need to do is ban the cycler from your channel for at least 24 hours. If the bot is unable to join your channel because it's keyed, invite only, or the bot has been banned, it will automatically remove the channel from the list and mark it as not to visit.
To put it in Stargate terms.. Make it hit the Iris protection and wait for the 'blip'.
My channel is +s/+p and thus hidden from the list, how can I add my channel ?
All you need to do in order to get your channel added, is invite the bot CycMaster into your channel. You will get a notice with the status whether your channel gets added or not and why. Your channel will then be checked for the first time mostly within 5 minutes.
My channel uses the channelmode +D, how to make sure it quickly becomes visible?
On Undernet, all our robots have the same username (CycleBot). If your channel is registered, then all you need to do is the following:
- /msg X adduser <channel> CycleBot 1
- /msg X modinfo <channel> automode CycleBot voice
With this, the bot will immediately get visible upon join, and thus show a join in order to trigger the spammers.